Mother, Daughter Not the Only Family for Dance Cards

Dancing Through the Year

GRC Dance Team

A relationship between mom and daughter is a strong bond, but sometimes it’s a bond that needs to be set aside.

For Senior Aaliyah Crawford, her mom, Jessica Fraley, is more than just her mom. She is her coach.

“We balance each other, captain and coach,” says Aaliyah. “It changes the dynamic of the team, but it works well for us.”

A common misconception for a parent being a coach is special treatment, but this is hardly the case when it comes to the dance team.

“I bring it home with me,” she says. “It’s never a negative thing; it’s actually pretty fun having my mom be the coach. Because it’s my last year at GRC, it’s nice to have my mom with me for my final year of high school dance.”

Aaliyah and her mom make everyone feel like they are part of a family. “It’s great that we don’t have to be blood to be family,” says freshman Taylor Phillips. “We all have love and dance that bring us together.”

The dance members feel as if they are a part of something bigger than themselves, and they know that the captain and coach being mother and daughter has a positive impact on them.

“Because they are so comfortable with each other, decisions for the team are made easier,” says sophomore Haley Snell. “Even though the captain’s mom is the coach, no favoritism is ever shown, and I’m sure the team appreciates that.”

Fraley becomes not only the team coach but also the team mom, valuing each girl as her own.

“We are treated with respect and like to return the favor by doing what we need to do, but having some fun too,” says sophomore Ramsey Morris. “It’s more like a family.”