Mental health is at stake

This pandemic has affected each and every one of us differently, but one of the biggest hardships affecting our youth is a decline in our mental health. Going back to school can provide a sense of normality to our students that we have lost these past six months. 

Staying at home and not seeing teachers, friends, and counselors can have an immense impact on our mental health. KHSAA Executive Director, Juliann Tacket, said in a board meeting this past August: “We are facing two health crises right now, the coronavirus pandemic, and the mental health of our youth.”

GRC provides great assistance to students dealing with mental health challenges, whether that is depression, anxiety, or even having suicidal thoughts. There is no doubt that domestic abuse rates are much higher, and it is difficult to address these situations without regular in-person contact. 

According to the risks and benefits of deciding to go back to school from the CDC website: “Aside from a child’s home no other setting has more influence on a child’s health and well-being than the school, the in person school environment not only provides educational instruction, but supports a child’s social and emotional skills, safety, speech, mental health, reliable nutrition, and opportunities for physical activity.”

There is no way we are getting the same education online as we would in person. Due to an online setting, poor connection or no internet access, teachers are less able or unable to read the body language and facial expressions of students. This makes it more difficult for a teacher to help them, or know when to help. 

Although going back to in-person school will be completely different, I believe it will be worth it. The vaccine may take months or even a few more years until it is ready and safe, so we must find a way to adapt, for the mental health of our students. 

Comments (0)

All Smoke Signals Student Media Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *