GRC’s KUNA delegation had a successful weekend.

The KUNA Experience

March 14, 2023

GRC sent a delegation of nine students to the Kentucky United Nations Assembly conference in Louisville.

Ann McCreary, Mallory Jones, Josh Muse, & Landon Runyon’s resolution passed and was endorsed by the Secretary-General.

Mallory Jones was awarded Outstanding Speaker.

Ann McCreary was awarded Outstanding Ambassador.

Katelyn Fulks and Jones Howard argued in the Advisory Case and made it to the finals, Saturday morning, placing runner up.

Smoke Signals staff member Zach Ross recaps the overall experience as well as his personal experience at the conference in the stories below.

Students make their mark at KUNA conference

Students had a great weekend at the KUNA conference.

Sweden, Cambodia, Taiwan, Guinea, Poland, Canada… Each member country of the UN can be accurately represented in a mock assembly made of purely high school students. 

KUNA (Kentucky United Nations Assembly) gives students the opportunity to advocate on behalf of international issues. Through debate, democracy, and pure determination, KUNA is a place where every student can make their voice heard and help change the world.

The premise of KUNA lies in addressing issues and proposing hypothetical solutions regarding various countries that are a part of the UN. These solutions are drafted into something called a resolution.

The resolutions this year were nothing short of outstanding, proposing solutions that addressed sweatshops, rising sea levels, Ukrainian refugees seeking asylum, censorship of the media, and so much more.

But KUNA is not just about resolutions. There are many different programs within the conference, such as the Media Corp, ICJ (International Court of Justice), Secretariat, NGO (Non-Governmental Organization), and the Security Council. 

Each specific program has special duties, whether to help keep countries safe through the Security Council, argue international affairs through the International Court of Justice, or even decipher which resolutions have the most viable solutions in the Secretariat. 

The people, however, are what make or break the conference. From all of the different program areas and schools, every ambassador comes together to create an unforgettable conference. 

“I walked into KUNA this year knowing that as a candidate I was going to be talking to a bunch of people, and it ended up being one of the best conferences I’ve ever attended!” says newly elected Presiding Officer from Woodford County, Hannah Hash. “The people are the heart of the conference and truly drive both debate and the sense of community that you find there, which sets KUNA apart from any other conference!” 

The life of the conference lies in the hands of the candidates, however. These are ambassadors who are hoping to become a Presiding Officer for next year, and their energy is unmatched.

This year, GRC was all in at KUNA. From having an ICJ team in the showcase round to being recognized as a premier delegation to even having a student be a candidate for Presiding Officer, KUNA 2023 was an experience that will never be forgotten. 

KUNA 2023 was a movie

Smoke Signals writer Zach Ross shares his personal experience at the conference.

Amidst stressful times, sometimes it’s nice to relax and rewind with a good movie, and every good film starts with a lights, camera, Zaction!

This year I had the privilege of running as a Presiding Officer Candidate at High School KUNA 1, an experience that made this conference the best one ever. From meeting new people to giving speeches in front of the entire assembly to drinking an abundance of strawberry smoothies, this KUNA was unforgettable.

As a candidate, I got to review each resolution and draft speeches supporting every solution. The resolutions addressed topics ranging from reparation of cultural artifacts to the right to wear religious head coverings to migrant labor systems. 

Ambassadors from GRC also created a resolution which addressed Ukrainian refugees seeking asylum in Sweden! Ann MCCreary, Mallory Jones, Landon Runyon, and Josh Muse put in hours of preparation, and their resolution even got endorsed by the Secretary General!

However, resolutions aren’t the only thing that takes place at KUNA. There are many different programs within the conference, such as the Media Corp, ICJ (International Court of Justice), Secretariat, NGO (Non-Governmental Organization), and the Security Council. 

GRC was all in at KUNA, as well. From being recognized as a premier delegation to having an ICJ team in the showcase round to getting our resolution endorsed, our small group had a blast while debating. 

Despite the business of debate, KUNA is a place that redefines fun. The silent disco proves to be one of the best experiences KUNA has to offer, and I got to experience it with some of my fellow candidates!

While the ambassadors truly help make the conference a success, the candidates set the mood for KUNA. Each and every candidate I met was an absolutely amazing person, and I am so excited to see them conquer next year’s conference!

While every good movie starts with a lights, camera, Zaction, there must come a time for the movie to end. KUNA 2023 was truly an unforgettable experience, but now we must roll the credits.