Mia+Walter

miagracewalter

Mia Walter

Leave it up to us

Annnnd 7 months later we’re still in almost the same position we were in when the COVID-19 virus took its first big toll on all schools in Clark County. At this point, I believe the only way to keep this from consuming our lives is to stay positive and take on each day at a time.

We are well aware that we really don’t know what’s going to happen next. I think the next step is being aware of what to expect when you go back to school.

People may begin to change their decision when they get a better idea of how things are going to play out once we’re back in the building all together.

As a senior, if we went back to a normal school year I would be pumped, along with many of my classmates. Unfortunately, that seems almost impossible. My personal decision for if I would choose to go back relies solely on what school will look like.

After finding out more about the regulations that schools who have gone back have to follow and imagining what life for us would be like under those circumstances, I am heartbroken and unsure of how to look at this. No talking at lunch, seeing only a fraction of your friends that you would in a normal year, spending all of your time in a mask unless you’re eating, being so spread out that it is hard to even converse, living with the constant fear of spreading the virus unknowingly, possibly having to do all work on a computer even when we come back, missing out on unforgettable moments such as my senior prom and possibly even our graduation. There are way too many unknowns.

In no way am I saying that the leaders of this community are slacking or trying to keep anyone from some of the best years of their life; this is simply something that no person can control.

All I ask of anyone in control of the decision of becoming a normal community or playing it safe, I think that many people would agree that the scary aspects that the virus brings to us being back together in large groups is worth the risk.

If someone wants to take the chance, that decision should be on them just as the ones who do not want to danger themselves for whatever reason should get that option as well.