EA+Nisbet

EA Nisbet

A risk I’m willing to take

Going back to in-person school rather than staying online is the better option and it’s a risk I and many others are willing to take. Especially for the seniors, it’s our last year to really be a kid and it’s awful that we are getting it taken away from us. 

Not everything is going to be easy and we can’t just take the easy way out and decide that we aren’t going to go back to school. There are risks that we have to be willing to take, especially in the situation we are all in right now.

School plays a very important role in a child’s life and it’s not just educational achievement. It provides a secure and stable environment for social skills and friendships with not just other students, but with the teachers. To add on to that, support systems are more easy to access at school. Without school, students can get emotionally unstable and not even realize it, and this leads them to not even do their work.

When we go back, it will not be the same at all and I think everyone understands that. You might even think it’s not worth it because you won’t be able to talk to as many people, but it’s not all about that. It’s the fact that we are sitting at a desk while our teachers are giving instructions and we’re able to raise our hand to ask questions without having to worry about not getting an answer for 10 minutes. It gets very hard and overwhelming for the teachers. They have so many students asking them questions at once and needing information but they can’t give us what we need right away. So it’s not just the students who need to be in school; it’s the staff as well and I feel as if people forget about that.

Schools are an important part of support for our community, as they provide critical services for everyone. Opening up our schools will provide opportunity to invest in the education, well-being, and future of the children while taking every precaution to protect us.