Betsy+Billings

Betsy Billings

Okay with things being different

Imagine, you wait four years to have the stereotypical senior experience. Homecoming week, prom, graduation, just to name a few. However the class of 2021 is just anticipating when they will even be able to have class not over a computer screen. 

When COVID-19 struck in early March I had no clue that I might not get to return to high school.

I figured this would all be cleared up before the start of my senior year. Unfortunately we all know how that turned out. I started my last year seeing my classmates through a computer screen, unable to genuinely connect with anyone. I think of so many people I have not gotten to see face to face in over 7 months, it truly makes me devastated. Thinking about how I may never get to sit in a classroom at GRC with my classmates again is absolutely heartbreaking. 

I have made myself get to the point where I can be okay with not being able to attend school as usual and how things most likely will not be the same as they have been in years past. Yet I have not given up hope that we will be able to return to the school building someway, sometime. I understand that nothing will really be the same when we return, and I’m okay with that. 

If 2020 has taught us anything it’s that we have to think outside the box and get creative with how we do things. I’ve always been told if there’s a will, there’s a way and I believe that the board of education has not had a true push to find a way to allow us to return to in-person school. Hybrid schedule and A/B days are a few options that have been thrown out but for some reason the board decided instead of finding a way to bring less students in each day so that we can properly space, we bring all the students who choose in-person learning to the school 5 days a week. I think we all know how that will play out. There are so many ways we could return to in-person learning, the board just needs to get creative.

I know that things will be different when we return to learning actually in the classroom and I am okay with it. As long as I get to have one thing normal for my senior year, and that is walking down the halls at GRC where I belong. Mask up and let’s find a way to get back into that building. 

Comments (0)

All Smoke Signals Student Media Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *