It’s Time to Adopt a New Cardinal Logo for Athletics

Staff Editorial

Back to Article
Back to Article

Louisville. Arizona. St. Louis. The Cardinals are a very popular name in sports. From St. Johns Fisher College in Rochester, New York, to Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas, 18 colleges and 2 professional sports teams use the nickname.

Now look up the logos for each of these teams. Nearly all of these schools use a similar logo: the side profile of a Cardinal.

Our logo is no exception.

Currently at GRC we use a right facing Cardinal head for our logo. What sets us apart from the countless other high schools in the state that use the Cardinal mascot as well?

The most impactful sports logos are the unifying logos, the logos that standout from the crowd, and let everyone know who they’re supporting.

Our current logo accomplish- es none of this. Yes, our logo is unique; it was designed only for GRC. However, it does little to distinguish us from other Cardinals in sports.

The current Cardinal logo also accomplishes very little in the intimidation aspect.

Sports logos are meant to look threatening, mean and fast. Our current logo doesn’t come close to achieving this. The Cardinal we use smiles, appears friendly, and doesn’t even have straight lines.

Currently, our Cardinal doesn’t reflect strength or speed, two more features commonly found in other great sports logos. Our Cardinal falls into the same category as many other logos, as it’s design is based off of the common Cardinal logo.

That is why we need to step back and approach the idea of a Cardinal differently.

A Cardinal isn’t the most threatening mascot in the world, but it provides plenty of opportunities to be unique.

After all, there is no other GRC in the nation; we deserve a logo that is as unique as us.

Adopting a new logo provides numerous benefits. Not only would a new logo look better, faster, sharper and scarier, but it would also show everyone on the outside that we are no ordinary Cardinals.

We are the George Rogers Clark Cardinals. We are not the same as any other Cardinal.

With a new logo, we have many opportunities to expand our athletics brand further. A new logo gives us the chance to break down the stereotypical Cardinal logo.

Just because Cardinal logos have been the same for years doesn’t mean that’s how our logo has to look too.

A front-facing Cardinal logo is rarely, if ever, used in sports logos and design. This provides us the perfect opportunity as a school to set us apart from every other Cardinal in the country, while also showing everyone on the outside that we are still the Cardinals.

With this, the logo also has more intimidation and strength than other logos, because the cardinal is staring the viewer directly in the eyes.

While this isn’t something that many people consider being a dominating feature of sports logo design, a Cardinal glaring into your eyes is undeniably more threatening than a smiling Cardinal looking off to the right.

Of all the Cardinals in the country, there is only one George Rogers Clark. Our logo should reflect this. It’s time for a change.

About the Photographer
Nick Hounshell, Editor-In-Chief

Nick Hounshell is a Senior and second-year Smoke Signals member. His favorite animal is a lemur, his favorite movie is Arrival, and he is on the golf team...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “It’s Time to Adopt a New Cardinal Logo for Athletics”

1. Ginger Wilson on May 17th, 2018 11:28 pm

you are VERY YOUNG!! If you looked over the History of GRC like I have there are many birds used for the mascot. It is the state bird and it is the Louisville mascot. But I have many that are far different than the one u see today. check out my group at GRCHS YEARBOOKS, WINCHESTER , KY ️

2. Matt on July 9th, 2018 8:21 pm

Hello there. I am wondering if I can edit this logo and use it for a softball team. I love it and feel it could be used very well for our team. Let me know. Thanks

• It’s Time to Adopt a New Cardinal Logo for Athletics

2017-18 Opinions

Board of Ed Made Best Decision on Commencement

2017-18 Opinions

Refuse to Vote? Then Reimburse the Country

2017-18 Opinions

Complaining About Complaining

2017-18 Opinions

Donations Hurt Politicians’ Integrity

2017-18 Opinions

Time to Fix the Clocks, Patience Ticking Away