College Countdown: University of Kentucky

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lauren Palmer, Social Media Editor

“Oh C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS!!! Go Big Blue!! Go Big Blue!! Cats by 90!! Big Blue Nation!!”

These words are just a few words a true Kentuckian has known since birth, but why are these words embedded in Kentuckians minds?

Founded in 1865, the University of Kentucky has been a lifestyle for thousands and thousands of people.
The well known UK blue, wildcat mascot, and sports teams, make UK more than just a place for higher education.

Although the school is ranked highly in education, the student life, and life beyond the learning aspect, is something students thoroughly enjoy.

All year long, UK fans from all over the state gather together to cheer on the cats whether it’s football or basketball they are cheering.

And when I say cheer I mean scream and clap and carry on no matter the score, all while wearing UK blue from head to toe.

This school spirit stems from the people who have attended UK, are attending UK, and will attend UK and spreads across the state. So many Kentuckians didn’t attend UK but are die hard UK fans.

Being a fan is more than just being an average fan for any other team; being a fan is a lifestyle.

Families clear schedules to watch UK games, they drive hours and hours to support the team, and they pack restaurants to get a good view of a television.

People dedicate so much time and money to supporting the Cats that it’s inspiring to see so many people gather to support an amazing school.

When people say they “bleed blue” they aren’t kidding. They have dedicated so many of their own resources to this school, that they really do bleed blue with not a trace of red. 🙂

Apart from the fans and school spirit, UK also offers a wide opportunity for education.

With a student to faculty ratio of 17:1, students get a lot of one-on-one time with their professors which is proven to lead to higher success in college.

UK also offers a diverse menu of major options and have some of the top graduate programs.

Whether it’s school spirit or academics, UK gives it their all. And just like every UK fan out there, it’s only proper to end with a “Go Big Blue!!!” #BBN #Catsby90