Serve & Protect – The Puckett Family Legacy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shawn, William and Kevin Puckett

Shawn, William and Kevin Puckett

Shawn, William and Kevin Puckett

Shawn, William and Kevin Puckett

Savannah Centers

I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even of supreme sacrifice.
-Chief Edward F. Croker

Junior year – the time when students start to plan for their future. For Kevin and Shawn Puckett, planning started in kindergarten.

Since they were 5 years old, Shawn and Kevin have known exactly their career destiny – that they wanted to follow in their dad and granddad‘s footsteps of being firefighters.

Helping people has always and will always be a passion of these brothers, sparked by their father. “Our dad means a lot to us; he supports us and encourages us,” said Kevin.

Having the support and understanding from their father can go a long way for two teenage boys. “Dad has set example for us to live up to,” said Shawn.

William Puckett, a full-time battalion chief at Station One in Clark County, has dedicated 29 years of his life to being a firefighter, including his years of volunteer work.

Following in their dad‘s footsteps, Kevin and Sean already volunteer at the Clintonville Fire Department.

“It’s a big help having all of Dad‘s connections and years he has put in but we also have to prove ourselves a
little more and show that we are just as good or even better,” said Kevin.

While they both can’t wait to be fulltime firefighters, Shawn and Kevin each have an overall goal for the future. Kevin would like to become a chief, and Shawn would like to become a battalion chief. Both boys would like to work in Clark County, but they say working anywhere and being a help to people and the community would be fine.

Since they were young, they have called the fire station their second home. “We grew up with the crew in Clark County,” said Kevin. “It’s like being in a big family.”

Shawn and Kevin agree that growing up watching their father help people has been a big influence on their life.
While Dad says his boys entering the profession is “scary,” the rewards are great. “My boys looking up to me and what I do means the world to me,” says William. “I worry for the danger they will face and the horrible things they will see. But seeing that person you helped on one of the worst days of their life and getting a hug and thank-you is worth it all.”

About the Writer
Savannah Centers, Multimedia Staff

Savannah Centers

is a Junior and first-year Smoke Signals member. She loves watching AMC's The Walking Dead and chooses purple as her favorite color.