College Countdown: Transylvania University

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lauren Palmer, Social Media Editor

This summer, I joined 50 other high school students at the Henry Clay Center of Statesmanship Student Congress.

At the Student Congress, we got the chance to stay and utilize Transylvania University’s campus while learning about the process of creating an amendment and the art of compromise.

While at Transylvania, I fell in love with the campus and the atmosphere around Transylvania.

The small campus within a big city gives you the close knit relationships a smaller college gives you while also giving you the experience of a big city.

During my week there, I had the opportunity to interact with Transy’s students, use Trany’s facilities, and explore the city of Lexington surrounding the university.

Whenever I’ve talked to a Transy student, they always mention how they probably know the name of every student on campus.

They always tell me,“ I love Transy because it feels like home and the students here have created a family.”

With small class sizes, it’s not hard to get to know everyone.

It was mentioned that once you pick your major, you start having classes with the same people, which is awesome for creating study groups, relationships, and fun memories.

The students at Transy that I met would always mention how amazing their professors were, and I can attest to this to a degree.

While at Transy, I sat in multiple lectures from a professor where he taught us about the constitution, amendments, and political science.

His way of teaching kept the students attention by keeping the lectures interesting and upbeat and easy to listen to.

The facilities at Transy fall nothing short of spectacular. The dorm I stayed in was a suite style.

The dorm rooms each had their own bathroom, shower, kitchenette, and seating area all separate from the area with two beds, two desks, and two closets.

Each floor of the dorm also had a study area equipped with couches and tables.

Apart from the dorms, their lecture halls and classrooms were also areas on the campus that stood out.

These areas were always clean and had a lot of space for students. There were also places within the lecture halls for students to break off and do activities or assignments and we used these to write our amendments.

The library also had rooms for groups of students to work together without disturbing the quietness of the library. It was well built, new, and had many resources for people on campus to use.

Around each building there is beautiful landscape for students to enjoy and the campus is small enough that it’s not hard to find what building you are looking for.

Additionally, the downtown Lexington location of Transy gave us opportunities to join unique activities.

Every Thursday night, from April to October, central bank hosts concerts from local bands. This gives students a chance to take a break from studying to hear local bands and socialize with other Lexington citizens.

There are also a lot of shops and restaurants the students can easily walk to from campus.

This area also has a new art museum called 21C that doubles has a hotel and restaurant and is a really cool place to visit.

Transylvania’s atmosphere makes students feel right at home. The small campus gives students the chance to meet everyone on campus, but the proximity to Lexington also makes going to Transy fun.

About the Writer
Lauren Palmer, Social Media Editor

Lauren Palmer is a Senior and second-year Smoke Signals member. Her favorite TV show is How I Met Your Mother and she loves the color white.