Academic Team Highlights the Opportunities at GRC

“Buzzing” with Success

Academic+Team+

Savannah Green

Academic Team

Here’s to a successful team at GRC. They practice long hours and are dedicated to creating a path to success. They highlight the wonderful extra curricular programs that GRC has to offer. Can you guess which team this is?

Academic team may not be the first thing you think of when you hear the word team, because the word “team” tends to surround sports.

However, GRC’s academic team has proven itself to be a meaningful and successful program that deserves the spotlight.

The academic team is home to 15 students and is led by Mrs. Murphy. To these students, joining the academic team has been more than just making it to state and winning meets; it’s also been about the bonds they have created.

“Academic team is a great bonding experience,” says Caroline Handshoe, a senior. “We all have a great time and it allows people who aren’t sports-oriented to have their own team to belong to.”
This team is a tight-knit group. Not only are they learning more about each other, they are also learning skills that they will carry with them throughout their life.

“My favorite part of being on the team is probably just the people on the team, but it’s also made me appreciate the values of studying,” says senior Connor Sparks. “It’s hard to actually be good in academic team if you don’t know a ton of random facts.”

Of course, the achievements of the team are nothing to sneer at. Last year the team made it to state, and they have high hopes for this year as well.

“I’d like to see us go to state again,” says Murphy, the team’s coach. “We have an excellent team right now and we are trying to duplicate the success we had last year.”

At the very first meet of their season, the Varsity team beat Lexington Christian Academy 23-13. Since then, the team has gone on to win four more meets, winning each by five points or more.

“I think we’ll do really well this season, especially because of the sophomores,” says Sparks. “They’re incredibly smart and fast at answering.”

These students work hard to achieve their goals. They support each other, allowing the team to go above and beyond.

Success, bonding, laughter, teamwork. Can you guess which team this is now?