FFA Students Work to Build Healthy Community, Educate Public

Growing Future Leaders

A farm is more than a red barn and a white picket fence.

It’s a crop growing ripe in a field waiting to be picked and sold at the farmers market.

It’s livestock being herded to areas with greener grass in hopes of keeping them well nourished.

A farm creates products that sustain and develop civilizations and the human life within them.

Farming provides domesticated animals and fresh food for the population, which is why
agriculture is an important industry. It’s an industry that is reaching out to school systems in order to educate future generations.

Senior Langdon Winburn is one of the 629,367 students nationwide who chose to participate in the Future Farmers of America.

This year, she serves as the GRC FFA President and the regional chapter secretary. “It’s definitely an honor to represent this program,”she says, “but I feel like it is more of a humbling experience.”

The impact of Clark County’s strong FFA program reaches far beyond GRC.

“FFA is an organization that promotes working with others and doing good for the community,” says agriculture teacher and FFA advisor Terra Pigg.

One of the group’s most recent projects was collecting canned goods, then assembling and distributing baskets for families in need around Clark County for Thanksgiving.

“Seeing the reaction of those being helped is an experience that makes everyone realize why we reach out to our community,” Winburn says.

The club seeks not only to serve but also to educate. FFA participates in the annual Farm Bureau Ag Safety Day where members provide safety tips and explanations of various agriculture topics.

“It’s cool to get to educate the public on things they need to know about agriculture,” says Winburn. “Agriculture is a never-ending industry and it’s something we need to hold on to.”

The club also has partnered with Conkwright Elementary to start the program, “Project Pals.” FFA members travel to meet third graders at the school to teach them lessons in agriculture.

“This program provides our students with leadership and socialization opportunities,” says Pigg. “Students grow to understand themselves and their own leadership abilities.”

For FFA students, building leadership qualities starts in the classroom. FFA is an intercurricular club which means you can take classes that relate to the services you do outside of school.

GRC offers a variety of Ag classes ranging from floral design to animal science. “It’s neat to learn about the impact agriculture has that people don’t understand,” says Winburn.

Pigg said she experienced the benefits of these classes through her own high school experience. “My Ag teacher, Mr. Clay Wills, told me in class one day that I should be an Ag teacher so I did,” she says.

Winburn also plans to pursue a career in agriculture education due to her love of children and passion for agriculture.

Regardless of what career FFA members choose, their experience in the club will benefit them. “FFA is not just for farmers; it’s for anyone who wants to be a leader.”