GRC’s beloved Mrs. Crosby honored for incomparable Smoke Signals legacy

Mrs. Crosby receives the Excellence in Teaching Award from the Assistant Superintendent Kelly Fithen and Principal Keene

A beloved teacher at George Rogers Clark High School, Mrs. Crosby, is the winner of the 2023 Excellence in Teaching Award.

The Excellence in Teaching Award recognizes teachers who go above and beyond in their dedication to their students and their craft. This award could not be more fitting for Mrs. Crosby.

Mrs. Crosby has been teaching at GRC since 2006. Throughout her career, she has made a significant impact on the lives of countless students. 

The 2019-2020 Editor-in-Chief of Smoke Signals Rachel Puckett says, “Personally, Mrs. Crosby has been my biggest mentor all throughout high school, and still now that I am off in college doing my own thing. From the moment I stepped into her class freshman year I knew this crazy lady who could spin a basketball on a pencil while gurgling happy birthday was something special.” Rachel continues, “High school had its fair share of trials for me and as any teen would, I often worried about being good enough to do things or stand out. Mrs. Crosby never doubted me. I watched her give me and many other students opportunities and grace, advice, and a listening ear. She was never shy to call me out on a poor decision when she gave me leadership but she also cared about what I had to say. She taught me that sometimes being a leader is more about empowering others to lead than being on the front as the face of a group. Even now a few years have gone from High School she still checks in on me encourages me, and believes in me as I know she does for any of her students.”

Known for her passion for teaching and ability to connect with students on a personal level, Mrs. Crosby has become a role model for both students and fellow teachers at GRC. 

Mrs. Crosby was a huge influence on me becoming a teacher. She modeled for me what it looked like to not only teach students but make them feel cared about,” says GRC English teacher Hagan Wells. “The award from Campbellsville University exemplifies what Mrs. Crosby does on a daily basis. Not only is she an excellent teacher, but she is a role model to so many at GRC and the community.”

Many students have shared stories of how Mrs. Crosby has made a significant impact on their own lives. 

Not everyone can establish a classroom that makes people feel like they belong, but Mrs. Crosby can,” says the 2016-2017 Editor-in-Chief of Smoke Signals Laura Graves. “Room 227 is a place where the students inside are excited to be there. Being a part of a student-lead, award-winning program is amazing, but having a spot in school you can look forward to going to every day is even better. Mrs. Crosby creates a safe space for students to express themselves and be encouraged to share their passions with their peers. Through constant support and guidance, she sets students up for success. Her class brings people together in a way I have never experienced in any other class.”

As the writer of this story, I want to personally add that the connections I have seen Mrs. Crosby create with her students unlike any other. I can confidently say that I have never had a teacher as understanding and caring as Mrs. Crosby. 

GRC staff, alumni, and current students agree that Mrs. Crosby is well deserving of this award. Not only is she an amazing, dedicated teacher, but she has a heart of gold as well. 

GRC principal Jamie Keene says, “It is difficult for me to put into words the positive impact Ms. Crosby has in our school. She is an excellent teacher but an even better person. Our students, staff, school, and community are better because of Ms. Crosby.  What she teaches goes far beyond the classroom.  I can not think of a more deserving person for this award.”

Mrs. Crosby photographs at the GRC Basketball State Tournament games.

The program that Mrs. Crosby has led since 2006 has been life-changing for so many students. While creating unforgettable memories with their fellow peers, students are also learning so many important skills that can be crucial for life outside of high school.

“My experience in her classroom was unlike any other, as she fosters creativity, encouragement, and, most of all, a family with each group of students that come through her door,” says 2019-2020 Editor-in-Chief Hayden Turley. “I’ve never met someone so intentional, genuine, and gifted in influencing others. I can confidently say that I—along with countless others—would not be the student, much more person I am today without Shanda Crosby. She is a true treasure, and I’m beyond thankful for the impact she had and still has on me.”

Mrs. Crosby’s ability to create a life-long connection and friendship with her students is something that not a lot of teachers are capable of. She’s created a flourishing media program and a family.

Not only is everyone here at GRC inspired by Mrs. Crosby, but her family at home has been inspired and impacted by her in similar ways. 

“My mom has a beautiful way of leading with truth and landing with grace and love,” says Mrs. Crosby’s youngest daughter, Kaeton. “She will tell you how it is, but always in a manner where her love for you is at the center. I never have to question if she will tell me the truth and I never have to question her love for me. This is a unique display of authenticity that is rare to find. She feels deeply, and therefore, impacts deeply.”

Steve Crosby, Mrs. Crosby’s husband has had a front-row seat in seeing his wife’s journey to becoming one of the greatest teachers of all time. 

“I love the way she loves her students!” he says. “It is an unconditional love that is very rare today. She loves to see them succeed and most of all loves to see them make a difference in the world with the gifts they have been given.”

Shanda Crosby has not only turned this program into something great for GRC, but the entire community of Winchester keeps up with Smoke Signals content. By encouraging her students to cover events that are important to the community, Mrs. Crosby draws in the community. 

The 2022-2023 Editor-In-Chief Ruthie Houston says, “Her commitment to Smoke Signals, GRC, and the community is unparalleled. She helps every single student that she has succeeded in a way they don’t know was possible. She challenges us to try new things and put our best effort into every project.”

Mrs. Crosby will continue to inspire countless individuals around our community. She pushes her students to the best of their ability and will continue to educate, entertain, and engage the community of Winchester. As always, “Peace, Love, Smoke Signals.”