The power of college: It’s about more than attending school

Sarah Johnson, Managing Editor

Sarah Johnson

Around 66% of all students in the US chose to enroll directly in college after graduating high school. That’s approximately 20 million students.

There’s a reason so many students choose college: it is simply the best option.

With 5,300 colleges and universities in the US, there is a place for everyone to belong.

College is not just an extension of high school, it is an opportunity to delve further into your goals and passions. For many, college is the first door opened in a step to a successful life.

Most jobs require college degrees. People who graduate college tend to earn higher salaries than those who do not.

Those who hold a Bachelor’s degree have a 3.5 times lower poverty rate compared to high school degree holders.

Moreover, college just doesn’t prepare you for a job, it sets the foundation for a future career. Through college you are able to make connections with those who are experienced in your desired career field.

There are over 80 different types of college degrees, and a multitude of opportunities in college to get involved. Through study abroad programs, organizations, research
initiatives and internships, there is something for everyone to become immersed in.

Besides furthering your education, college teaches you how to adapt to new environments; the non-academic experiences you gain from college can be just as impactful.

College is the first experience for most when it comes to independence.

Whether you move out of state or choose to commute from home, you become fully in charge of your own schedule.

Living with roommates teaches you how to handle situations and conflicts you’ve never dealt with before. You figure out how to manage your time wisely, and learn about your own living habits to prepare you for your future as a growing adult. The interpersonal skills you learn are just as important as the academic ones.

That isn’t to say you can’t become successful without college. Success is not found within a place.  However,  college offers opportunities you can’t attain anywhere else by preparing you both intellectually and socially. By 2040, it’s predicted that there will be 600 million college students worldwide.

College isn’t just attending a school; it’s an experience.