Dual Credit Program Changes But Still Beneficial

For the past several years, dual credit classes have been the new trend for educational progress, allowing high school students to receive both high school and college credit for a particular course.

Depending on the college, students can take the class at their high school, on a college campus, or online.

Dual credit classes provide a head start on core classes every freshman college student is required to take along with enhancing critical thinking and research skills.

For many students this is an excellent opportunity to begin their college career within the high school setting and support system. At GRC, the number of these classes has decreased this year for the first time.

Governor Bevin’s cuts to higher education forced KCTCS to alter the structure of this dual credit program, resulting in GRC having to reduce its offerings.

In previous years, students could enroll in two courses per semester taught at GRC for a $50 administrative fee with no tuition. The community college dropped this program and went to full tuition.

After the Bevin administration announced its dual credit scholarship program, KCTCS announced it would provide every junior in Kentucky one free dual credit course.

GRC then went back to offering dual credit U.S. History with the idea that juniors would get the first semester free and the second semester would be funded through the dual credit scholarship.

This allowes every junior to get six hours of dual credit in U.S. History.

“The previous agreement the school had with BCTC included two U.S. History courses, two Math classes, and English 101 and 102,” said Principal Bolen.

With the funding pulled, BCTC was willing to offer the classes at a reduced rate, but parents would have been asked to pay more than $800 for both History classes.

“It’s complicated, but I’m trying my best to get it where students can get most of their credits free,” said Bolen.

Mrs. Madsen, the teacher for Dual Credit U.S. History, believes dual credit is a huge benefit for high school students.

Any student who takes the ACT before their junior year and scores a 20 or above on the reading section is eligible to take dual credit U.S. History.

If students have not taken the ACT before their junior year they can go to BCTC and take the Compass test for free. If they score an 85 or above on the Reading test they become eligible to take Dual Credit U.S..

“All students who are interested in history, reading and getting college credit should do it,” said Mrs. Madsen.

All hope isn’t gone for students to be able to take dual credit classes at GRC and state wide. As long as there are colleges that want to gain new students, they will try any measures to get you interested in them even if that means starting a Dual Credit program.

As a result, students get a chance to increase their education and become college ready.

How do you apply for Dual Credit?

• Check with your guidance counselor to see if you qualify.
  • Apply online or in person.
  • Check to see if you can get any financial aid/scholarships to help pay for your
    tuition and books.

What will Dual Credit do for you?

• Gives you the chance to get 12 hours or more of college credit
  • Provides you help with the transition from high school to college
  • Reduces costs in enrolling in higher education courses
  • Enhances your skills that will be required for success at the collegiate level, such as time management and study skills
  • Provides you with a head start on postsecondary core requirements
  • Allows you access to college facilities/
    activities
  • Helps you to find your career of interest
  • Be less challenging for you than AP classes
  • Shortens the time required to complete an undergraduate degree